Sunday, March 30, 2008

A list of demands

From the Columbia College Course Bulletin:
KAREN OSNEY BROWNSTEIN WRITING PRIZE
(1991) Awarded to a graduating senior in Columbia College who has written a single piece or a body of work so distinguished in its originality of concept and excellence of execution that it fairly demands the award, support, and recognition the prize intends.

We decided to write a body of work that fairly demands the award.

Poem 1: Variation on a theme by T. S. Eliot

April is the cruellest month!
Unless it is the month in which
You give me the Karen Osney Brownstein Writing Prize!

Poem 1a: Variation on a different theme by T. S. Eliot

Let us go, then, you and I,
To the bank to cash my check.

Poem 2: Variation on a theme by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and I...
I took the one that was more likely to get me this prize.

Poem 2a: Variation on a different theme by Robert Frost

Whose prize this is I think I know.
It is mine.

Poem 3: Variation on a theme by Dr. William Carlos Williams

so much depends upon
me getting this
award

Poem 4: Variation on a theme by Emily Dickinson

I'm nobody! Who are you?
Are you -- the awards committee?
In that case -- I am somebody.

Poem 5: Variation on a theme by e. e. cummings

i carry your award with me
(i carry it in my trophy case)

Poem 6: Variation on a theme by William Shakespeare
Oh, what a piece of work is a man!
Oh, what a body of work is this!
I would vouchsafe to say that it fairly demands the award!

No comments: